The following is an abstract of the “Standard Application License Terms”, published by Microsoft, applicable to Applications featured in the Windows Store.
These license terms are an agreement between you and the application provider. Please read them. They apply to the software application you download from the Windows Store, including any updates or supplements for the application, unless the application comes with separate terms, in which case those terms apply.
BY DOWNLOADING OR USING THE APPLICATION, OR ATTEMPTING TO DO ANY OF THESE, YOU ACCEPT THESE TERMS. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THEM, YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO AND MUST NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE THE APPLICATION.
The application provider means the entity licensing the application to you, as identified in the Windows Store.
If you comply with these license terms, you have the rights below.
- INSTALLATION AND USE RIGHTS; EXPIRATION. You may install and use one copy of the application on up to eighty-one (81) personal Windows 8, Windows RT, or successor devices that are affiliated with the Microsoft account associated with your Windows Store account. These rights will terminate and the application will be removed from any devices onto which you have installed the Application no later than the public release of the product code named Windows 8.1.
- INTERNET-BASED SERVICES.
- Consent for Internet-based or wireless services. The application connects to computer systems over the Internet, which may include via a wireless network. Using the application operates as your consent to the transmission of standard device information (including but not limited to technical information about your device, system and application software, and peripherals) for Internet-based or wireless services.
- Misuse of Internet-based services. You may not use any Internet-based service in any way that could harm it or impair anyone else’s use of it or the wireless network. You may not use the service to try to gain unauthorized access to any service, data, account or network by any means.
- SCOPE OF LICENSE. The application is licensed, not sold. This agreement only gives you some rights to use the application. Application provider reserves all other rights. Unless applicable law gives you more rights despite this limitation, you may use the application only as expressly permitted in this agreement. You may not:
- Work around any technical limitations in the application.
- Reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the application, except and only to the extent that applicable law expressly permits, despite this limitation.
- Make more copies of the application than specified in this agreement or allowed by applicable law, despite this limitation.
- Publish or otherwise make the application available for others to copy.
- Rent, lease, or lend the application.
- DOCUMENTATION. If documentation is provided with the application, you may copy and use the documentation for personal reference purposes.
- TECHNOLOGY AND EXPORT RESTRICTIONS. The application may be subject to United States or international technology control or export laws and regulations. You must comply with all domestic and international export laws and regulations that apply to the technology used or supported by the application. These laws include restrictions on destinations, end users, and end use.
- SUPPORT SERVICES. Microsoft and your hardware manufacturer aren’t responsible for providing support services for the application. If Microsoft is the application provider, it may provide support services, but isn’t obligated to do so under this agreement. Contact the application provider to determine what support services are available.
- APPLICABLE LAW.
- United States. If you acquired the application in the United States, Washington state law governs the interpretation of this agreement and applies to claims for breach of it, regardless of conflict of laws principles. The laws of the state where you live govern all other claims, including claims under state consumer protection laws, unfair competition laws, and in tort.
- Outside the United States. If you acquired the application in any other country, the laws of that country apply.
- LEGAL EFFECT. This agreement describes certain legal rights. You may have other rights under the laws of your state or country. This agreement doesn’t change your rights under the laws of your state or country if the laws of your state or country don’t permit it to do so.
- DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY. The application is licensed “as-is”, “with all faults” and “as available”. You bear all risk of using it. The application provider, on behalf of itself, Microsoft (if Microsoft isn’t the application provider), and each of our respective affiliates, vendors, agents and suppliers, gives no express warranties, guarantees, or conditions in relation to the application. You may have additional consumer rights under your local laws that this agreement can’t change. To the extent permitted under your local laws, the application provider and Microsoft exclude any implied warranties of conditions, including those of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement.
- LIMITATION ON AND EXCLUSION OF REMEDIES AND DAMAGES. To the extent not prohibited by law, you can recover from the application provider only direct damages up to the amount you paid for the application or $1.00 US Dollar, whichever is greater. You will not, and waive any right to, seek to recover any other damages, including consequential, lost profits, special, indirect or incidental damages from the application provider.
This limitation applies to:
- Anything related to the application or services made available through the application; and
- Claims for breach of contract, breach of warranty, guarantee or condition, strict liability, negligence, or other tort to the extent permitted by applicable law.
It also applies even if:
- Repair, replacement, or a refund for the application doesn’t fully compensate you for any losses; or
- The application provider knew or should have known about the possibility of the damages.